Watching CYFSWATCH NZ

In support of CYFSWATCH NZ and the right of Free Speech. First visit to Watching CYFSWATCH NZ? Visit our home page. Please visit our e/group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/watchingcyfs/

Cindy Kiro lied – what really happened over the TV3 broadcast featuring a 14 year old boy.

Posted by watchingcyfswatchnewzealand on May 11, 2007

As posted on CYFSWATCH NZ

Cindy Kiro lied – what really happened over the TV3 broadcast featuring a 14 year old boy.
Wednesday, 09.05.2007, 08:22am (GMT12)

Children’s Commissioner Misrepresent Facts to BSA

MEDIA RELEASE
8 MAY 2007

Children’s Commissioner Misrepresent the Facts to BSA

The Children’s Commissioner has misrepresented the facts to the Broadcasting Standards Authority relating to her complaint about a TV3 Campbell Live programme on the ‘anti-smacking’ bill.

Cindy Kiro argued that the programme on the boy involved in the Timaru horsewhip case had breached the 14-year-old boy’s privacy, was unfair to the boy and that he had been exploited – a breach of standard 6 of the Broadcasting Standards.

“But Cindy Kiro does not know all the facts, and seems to be motivated more by political agendas than genuine concern for the boy,” says Bob McCoskrie, National Director of Family First NZ.

The boy concerned had approached Family First NZ independently, wanting his side of the story to be told in a case which he believed had been grossly misrepresented by supporters of Bradford’s ‘anti-correction’ bill, including Cindy Kiro.

Family First then contacted Campbell Live to see if they wished to allow him the opportunity to have his side heard. They agreed, and interviewed both the child and the mother. Mr McCoskrie was present at all times and is satisfied that there was no coercion or pressure by the interviewer.

“The boy was stoked to be able to tell his version of the events which have been so misrepresented,” says Mr McCoskrie. “It is a pity that the Children’s Commissioner hadn’t made the time herself to speak to the boy if she was so concerned.”

Mr McCoskrie says that Kiro is totally wrong to suggest that the boy was exploited, that his treatment was unfair, or that his privacy had been breached.

“He was given the opportunity a number of times to withdraw his permission for the interview but was persistent that he wanted to set the record straight,” says Mr McCoskrie. “It is more an indictment on the anti-smacking lobby that the boy felt he had to go to the media to get the truth out, and that what had happened to him had been so misrepresented.”

On the positive side, it is good to know that the Children’s Commissioner is willing to take on individual cases, and Family First will be encouraging parents who have recorded their frustrations on the CYFSWatch website to contact the Commissioner for personal support and advocacy.

ENDS


web metrics

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: